Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Now that the camp is over

(written on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 after the 22IDC was over :P)

If this blog can be viewed by my Incovar friends, than I dont think I want to write in detail what were all the thoughts that went through my mind before, during and after the camp!

But basically there is nothing shameful to hide, as most of my thoughts were positive and sweet. What I do not know how to share, is how to reach out to not-so-Buddhistic friends who may be turned off by the mention of a Buddhist camp, thus I'm afraid of being pre-judged by people.

A good thing to note is that, there were 2 Christians participants in our camp, and it would be interesting to find out what makes them want to join our camp in the first place! I personally do not know any Christian who would care to join Incovar, as even my own school / uni friends or even my cousins were not interested.

There is a saying in Buddhism, "Ehipassiko" which means come and see. It is this essence of Buddhism which encourages self-discovery & personal exploration of life's experiences that makes me nonchalant in evangelizing. :P Which means, our doors are always open for you to discover and learn, all the teachings in understanding the mind, our human nature and the noble truths. There is no need for me to preach and irritate people, but there is this inkling desire inside me, that wants to shout out to the whole wide world - Incovar rocks!

In INCOVAR, we inspire... because we value individual expression, we treasure unity in diversity, and we nurture a family in the Dhamma.

I had a really good time in catching up with Tym and Muy Gaik, I could hardly see them in real life, if they didn't attend weekly meetings. Sharing the same floor with ~80 other girls was quite an experience, with small mattresses arranged side by side. I couldn't make big movement when I sleep, or else I'd kiss the girl sleeping next to me!

The food was interesting to note, all because of the strict Chinese custom, to eat silently, mindfully with back straight, legs parallel while abiding the kitchen rules. Criss-crossing the rice bowl and soup bowl, holding the chopsticks correctly, and putting the soup bowl at 10-o'clock position to ask for plain water! I had to salute all the kitchen helpers who had to serve the 150 of us like kitchen slaves! It's such a shame the programmers were not given this "opportunity" to serve the food to all people!

Programmers were mainly involved in running the programmes from start till end. I of course enjoy myself being infront, taking photos of people & activities, and just being there sharing wonderful moments with people. The Thai staff were really sweet and nice people, when blend in with Malaysians' impatient and crazy attitude, there you have a good mix of culture. Seriously I cant think of what ways to differentiate the Thais and Malaysians, except that the Thais were very patient & slow moving, so unlike Malaysians fast-paced & somewhat more efficient!

There's alot to learn from other ppl's culture, and there's so much other ppl can learn from us. I sincerely look forward to the "International-College-Varsity" (INCOVAR) camp, as like what we've achieved in this 22nd IDC. There is alot of funding matters to consider, I noticed many well-establish Buddhist organisation so well-funded. In our organisation, there is so much more to catch up on with full time administration & big scale management!

There is a place I really feel like home - Incovar.

Metta to all,
MJ

No comments: