Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My experience in the 30th IDC in Kuantan!

Dear readers,

I am grateful to be given the opportunity by Sis. Mei Joon to describe my experience attending the 30th INCOVAR Dhamma Camp in Kuantan Buddhist Association, from 11 to 14 December 2008.

It is now 1.28am, 29 December 2008, and I feel this is the last opportunity I have to properly describe 30 IDC from the heart, without distractions, as my time spent attending lectures later on (first day of a new semester) might dilute the beautiful memories of INCOVAR which are still vivid and comfortable to reflect on for now.

At first, I felt quite reluctant to join IDC this year, because Pahang seemed to be unfamiliar ground to me. But, I ended up registering anyway, two days late in fact. (Thanks Keng Yan!) The first thing that comes to mind about Incovar is that I have no regrets attending the camp at all.

On 10 December, a group of participants gathered at BGF, before we headed off to Kuantan. Playing mafia in BGF was a good icebreaker! The bus trip to Kuantan was delayed, but our spirits were kept up by constant friendly chattering and an impromptu singing performance by our Thai friends, as well as Malaysian friends.

The first thing that amazed me the next morning was the beautiful scenery! Formerly a mining ground, the lake, which was surrounded by trees and rocks, and minimally decorated, projects a calming energy, especially to busy city-dwellers. Looking down and across from the balcony of the third floor, the miles of greenery seen all around is equally soothing.

The theme for the camp this year was the Five Ennobling Virtues- Love, Sharing, Contentment, Kindness, and Mindfulness. As in 29 IDC, these ennoblers, being the message this time around, were conveyed clearly to us as we experienced how they can be fitted into our lives, through the activities and workshops planned.

Although I cannot remember all the activities, games and workshops throughout the four days offhand, I did make an effort to be present (body and mind) for each activity, and at each moment. Bhante Kumara accompanied us throughout the camp as well, and I developed interest in his sessions, because of his ability to understand how our mind works, with all its twists and turns, and teach us many things by simplifying complicated concepts and ideas. Datuk Dr. Victor Wee also livened us up with his musical talents, optimism, and open-mindedness.

Also, we had the opportunity to learn how to think out of the box with Uncle Bugs Tan and his amazing creativity, and his discovery of applying Buddhism to his talent of inventing new things. Besides that, Kar Wei was also very generous in enlightening us with tips on photography, and allowing us to have hands-on experience taking photos of scenery in the temple. Shalyn’s giant board game workshop (with equally giant Styrofoam dice) provided some physical action to the camp, and I really admire how the game was planned, with the five different tasks, and coordination of six groups playing all together.

In fact, I feel that every activity and each moment lived its place in the camp. Ranging from the real-life Facebook, Light & Easy (the most relaxing time of the day), Xiao Thoong’s workshop, to Wei Loong’s spaghetti, IXP, and so on, I appreciate every one of them, each in its own special way.

Also, our Thai friends graced us with their culture, language, sincerity, and willingness to form friendship bonds which may seem different at first, but are unique in their own ways. Thank you, Oil, Oam, Pinky, Champ, and all of you!

Last but definitely not least…being in the Lanun group, even thinking about the Lanun group helps me generate mixed feelings of happiness, friendliness, trustworthiness and…lame-ness too. Haha! Our very “special” flag and equally “Lanun-ish” group cheer will always have their places in my memory.

One of the best parts about INCOVAR is making new friends and getting to know people better. By attending this camp, I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to interact with new and old friends, and experience the instant friendliness that Incovarians always generously offer.

Another happy thing to do is keeping in touch after the camp has ended- through Facebook and MSN, and through any other possible means! Concerning Facebook- commenting on photos, giving people nicknames and engaging in any other random idea which pops up helps me relive the spirit we shared during the camp, and also activate new areas of myself- especially towards being less quiet and reserved.

All in all, to me, 30 IDC was less intense and physical than 29 IDC, but encouraged more thinking and mental processing. I am also re-learning how to have fun again (without over-thinking), an effortless but vital skill which I have almost lost in the process of chasing through life. I learnt things which I never knew I never knew, and this experience as a whole forms a lasting and comfortable memory to reflect on.

However, at times, things did not proceed as smoothly as expected. But it is this very impermanence which provides both beauty and balance to life, as well as learning experiences.

Finally, to ALL of my Incovarian friends- participants, camp organizers, committee members, everyone- I sincerely thank all of you for a wonderful camp! (Thank you Mak Mak!) Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu!

Goodness in Buddhism has always inspired me, and I am thankful for the chance to learn and be reminded of the Dhamma through these contemporary means.

As the wise claim, the gift of Dhamma excels all gifts. So, INCOVAR, please continue to inspire!

With metta,

Ming-Yi ^_^
(a.k.a mykhoo/mycool)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sadhu

Unknown said...

Very well said, Ming Yi :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Crystal! :) though i hope to see things more..erm..realistically in future. :) but anyway i really did enjoy the camp! ^^

Anonymous said...

Lanun BOLEH!!!
btw i like the pic!!

km-y said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

thanks kapitan. haha..dunno whose camera. mei joon posted the pic. =)